Broccoli & Tortellini Salad with Arugula Pesto
From EatingWell: July/August 2012
A quick homemade arugula pesto dresses this simple broccoli and tortellini salad recipe. Serve with fresh sliced tomatoes drizzled with olive oil.
- 1 medium clove garlic
- 5 cups baby arugula
- 1/2 cup shredded Pecorino or Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts, divided
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 9- to 10-ounce packages fresh cheese tortellini, preferably whole-wheat
- 5 cups small broccoli florets
- Put a large pot of water on to boil.
- With the motor running, drop garlic through the feed tube of a food processor; process until minced. Turn it off and add arugula, cheese, oil, 1/4 cup pine nuts, lemon zest and salt. Process, scraping down the sides as necessary, until the mixture is fairly smooth; leave the pesto in the food processor while you cook the tortellini.
- Cook tortellini in the boiling water until just tender, 6 to 8 minutes or according to package directions. Place broccoli in a colander and set it in the sink. Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta-cooking liquid, then pour the tortellini and the rest of the cooking liquid over the broccoli in the colander. (Pouring the hot pasta and cooking liquid over the broccoli “flash-cooks” it, leaving it bright green and tender-crisp.)
- Add the reserved 1/2 cup cooking liquid to the pesto in the food processor; pulse to combine. Transfer the tortellini and broccoli to a large bowl. Toss with the pesto. Serve sprinkled with the remaining 2 tablespoons pine nuts.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.
Per serving: 445 calories; 23 g fat (5 g sat, 9 g mono); 35 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 5 g fiber; 605 mg sodium; 314 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (99% daily value), Vitamin A (45% dv), Folate (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat, 4 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- July/August 2012