Broccoli & Tortellini Salad with Arugula Pesto
From EatingWell: July/August 2012
A quick homemade arugula pesto dresses this simple broccoli and tortellini salad recipe. Serve with fresh sliced tomatoes drizzled with olive oil.
- 1 medium clove garlic
- 5 cups baby arugula
- 1/2 cup shredded Pecorino or Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts, divided
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 9- to 10-ounce packages fresh cheese tortellini, preferably whole-wheat
- 5 cups small broccoli florets
- Put a large pot of water on to boil.
- With the motor running, drop garlic through the feed tube of a food processor; process until minced. Turn it off and add arugula, cheese, oil, 1/4 cup pine nuts, lemon zest and salt. Process, scraping down the sides as necessary, until the mixture is fairly smooth; leave the pesto in the food processor while you cook the tortellini.
- Cook tortellini in the boiling water until just tender, 6 to 8 minutes or according to package directions. Place broccoli in a colander and set it in the sink. Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta-cooking liquid, then pour the tortellini and the rest of the cooking liquid over the broccoli in the colander. (Pouring the hot pasta and cooking liquid over the broccoli “flash-cooks” it, leaving it bright green and tender-crisp.)
- Add the reserved 1/2 cup cooking liquid to the pesto in the food processor; pulse to combine. Transfer the tortellini and broccoli to a large bowl. Toss with the pesto. Serve sprinkled with the remaining 2 tablespoons pine nuts.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.
Per serving: 445 calories; 23 g fat (5 g sat, 9 g mono); 35 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 5 g fiber; 605 mg sodium; 314 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (99% daily value), Vitamin A (45% dv), Folate (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat, 4 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2012