Broccoli & Tortellini Salad with Arugula Pesto
From EatingWell: July/August 2012
A quick homemade arugula pesto dresses this simple broccoli and tortellini salad recipe. Serve with fresh sliced tomatoes drizzled with olive oil.
- 1 medium clove garlic
- 5 cups baby arugula
- 1/2 cup shredded Pecorino or Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts, divided
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 9- to 10-ounce packages fresh cheese tortellini, preferably whole-wheat
- 5 cups small broccoli florets
- Put a large pot of water on to boil.
- With the motor running, drop garlic through the feed tube of a food processor; process until minced. Turn it off and add arugula, cheese, oil, 1/4 cup pine nuts, lemon zest and salt. Process, scraping down the sides as necessary, until the mixture is fairly smooth; leave the pesto in the blender while you cook the tortellini.
- Cook tortellini in the boiling water until just tender, 6 to 8 minutes or according to package directions. Place broccoli in a colander and set it in the sink. Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta-cooking liquid, then pour the tortellini and the rest of the cooking liquid over the broccoli in the colander. (Pouring the hot pasta and cooking liquid over the broccoli “flash-cooks” it, leaving it bright green and tender-crisp.)
- Add the reserved 1/2 cup cooking liquid to the pesto in the blender; pulse to combine. Transfer the tortellini and broccoli to a large bowl. Toss with the pesto. Serve sprinkled with the remaining 2 tablespoons pine nuts.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.
Per serving: 445 calories; 23 g fat (5 g sat, 9 g mono); 35 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 5 g fiber; 605 mg sodium; 314 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (99% daily value), Vitamin A (45% dv), Folate (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat, 4 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- July/August 2012