Broccoli & Tomatoes with Rice Wine-Oyster Sauce
From EatingWell: February/March 2005
When stir-frying firm vegetables like broccoli, cover the wok for 30 seconds after adding the sauce. Cooking the vegetables covered, even for a short time, helps to keep them crisp but tender. If Chinese broccoli is available in your market, use this same method but cut the stalks and leaves into 2-inch pieces.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger
- 1/2 pound broccoli crowns cut into bite-size pieces and stems cut into 1/4-inch slices, (3 cups)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved (about 10 tomatoes)
- Rice Wine-Oyster Sauce, (recipe follows)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Heat a 14-inch flat-bottomed wok or large skillet over high heat until a bead of water vaporizes within 1 to 2 seconds of contact. Swirl canola oil into the pan, add ginger and stir-fry for 10 seconds. Add broccoli and stir-fry until bright green, 1 to 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and stir-fry for 15 seconds. Stir Rice Wine-Oyster Sauce and swirl it into the pan; cover and cook for 30 seconds. Stir-fry until the vegetables are just tender but the broccoli is still bright green, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in sesame oil. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prep the broccoli up to 4 hours ahead
- Shao Hsing (or Shaoxing) is a seasoned rice wine. It is available in most Asian specialty markets and some larger supermarkets in the Asian section. If unavailable, dry sherry is an acceptable substitute.
Per serving: 76 calories; 5 g fat (0 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 218 mg sodium; 269 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (100% daily value), Vitamin A (40% dv), Folate (12% dv).
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- February/March 2005