Pasta with Broccoli, Tomatoes & Anchovy Sauce
From EatingWell: January/February 1999
In this easy pasta recipe, a touch of anchovy makes healthy spaghetti with broccoli really delicious. To make it a meal, assemble an arugula salad tossed with lemon vinaigrette while the pasta sauce is cooking.
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons anchovy paste
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes, chopped, juice reserved
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti or linguine
- 6 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Put a large pot of salted water on to boil.
- Cut broccoli florets from stems and cut them into 1-inch pieces. Peel, halve and slice stems.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, anchovy paste and crushed red pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute. Add broccoli stems, tomatoes and their juice and bring to a simmer; cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 12 to 15 minutes. Add broccoli florets; cover and cook until tender, 5 to 10 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta until al dente, 9 to 10 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl; toss with sauce. Serve immediately, sprinkled with Parmesan.
Per serving: 297 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 15 g protein; 11 g fiber; 385 mg sodium; 426 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (141% daily value), Vitamin A (33% dv), Folate (18% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- January/February 1999