Pasta with Broccoli, Tomatoes & Anchovy Sauce
From EatingWell: January/February 1999
In this easy pasta recipe, a touch of anchovy makes healthy spaghetti with broccoli really delicious. To make it a meal, assemble an arugula salad tossed with lemon vinaigrette while the pasta sauce is cooking.
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons anchovy paste
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes, chopped, juice reserved
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti or linguine
- 6 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Put a large pot of salted water on to boil.
- Cut broccoli florets from stems and cut them into 1-inch pieces. Peel, halve and slice stems.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, anchovy paste and crushed red pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute. Add broccoli stems, tomatoes and their juice and bring to a simmer; cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 12 to 15 minutes. Add broccoli florets; cover and cook until tender, 5 to 10 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta until al dente, 9 to 10 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl; toss with sauce. Serve immediately, sprinkled with Parmesan.
Per serving: 297 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 15 g protein; 11 g fiber; 385 mg sodium; 426 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (141% daily value), Vitamin A (33% dv), Folate (18% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- January/February 1999