Pasta with Broccoli, Tomatoes & Anchovy Sauce
From EatingWell: January/February 1999
In this easy pasta recipe, a touch of anchovy makes healthy spaghetti with broccoli really delicious. To make it a meal, assemble an arugula salad tossed with lemon vinaigrette while the pasta sauce is cooking.
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons anchovy paste
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes, chopped, juice reserved
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti or linguine
- 6 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Put a large pot of salted water on to boil.
- Cut broccoli florets from stems and cut them into 1-inch pieces. Peel, halve and slice stems.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, anchovy paste and crushed red pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute. Add broccoli stems, tomatoes and their juice and bring to a simmer; cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 12 to 15 minutes. Add broccoli florets; cover and cook until tender, 5 to 10 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta until al dente, 9 to 10 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl; toss with sauce. Serve immediately, sprinkled with Parmesan.
Per serving: 297 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 15 g protein; 11 g fiber; 385 mg sodium; 426 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (141% daily value), Vitamin A (33% dv), Folate (18% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- January/February 1999