Pasta with Broccoli, Tomatoes & Anchovy Sauce
From EatingWell: January/February 1999
In this easy pasta recipe, a touch of anchovy makes healthy spaghetti with broccoli really delicious. To make it a meal, assemble an arugula salad tossed with lemon vinaigrette while the pasta sauce is cooking.
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons anchovy paste
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes, chopped, juice reserved
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti or linguine
- 6 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Put a large pot of salted water on to boil.
- Cut broccoli florets from stems and cut them into 1-inch pieces. Peel, halve and slice stems.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, anchovy paste and crushed red pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute. Add broccoli stems, tomatoes and their juice and bring to a simmer; cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 12 to 15 minutes. Add broccoli florets; cover and cook until tender, 5 to 10 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta until al dente, 9 to 10 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl; toss with sauce. Serve immediately, sprinkled with Parmesan.
Per serving: 297 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 15 g protein; 11 g fiber; 385 mg sodium; 426 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (141% daily value), Vitamin A (33% dv), Folate (18% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- January/February 1999