Spicy Stir-Fried Broccoli & Peanuts
From EatingWell: January/February 2011
Broccoli and red bell pepper tossed with a spicy peanut sauce makes a delicious side or stir in some cooked chicken or tofu to make it a main dish.
- 1/3 cup creamy natural peanut butter
- 1/2 cup water, divided
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli crowns, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped unsalted peanuts
- Whisk peanut butter, 1/4 cup water, brown sugar, 1 tablespoon soy sauce and vinegar in a medium bowl until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over medium heat. Add broccoli and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to soften and brown in spots, about 6 minutes.
- Add the remaining 1/4 cup water and 1 tablespoon soy sauce to the pan along with bell pepper and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until the pepper has softened and the liquid has evaporated, 2 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in the reserved peanut sauce and season with crushed red pepper. Garnish with peanuts.
Per serving: 319 calories; 23 g fat (3 g sat, 7 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 11 g protein; 6 g fiber; 385 mg sodium; 503 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (242% daily value), Vitamin A (40% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 carbohydrate (other), 2 vegetable, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- January/February 2011