Spicy Stir-Fried Broccoli & Peanuts
From EatingWell: January/February 2011
Broccoli and red bell pepper tossed with a spicy peanut sauce makes a delicious side or stir in some cooked chicken or tofu to make it a main dish.
- 1/3 cup creamy natural peanut butter
- 1/2 cup water, divided
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli crowns, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped unsalted peanuts
- Whisk peanut butter, 1/4 cup water, brown sugar, 1 tablespoon soy sauce and vinegar in a medium bowl until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over medium heat. Add broccoli and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to soften and brown in spots, about 6 minutes.
- Add the remaining 1/4 cup water and 1 tablespoon soy sauce to the pan along with bell pepper and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until the pepper has softened and the liquid has evaporated, 2 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in the reserved peanut sauce and season with crushed red pepper. Garnish with peanuts.
Per serving: 319 calories; 23 g fat (3 g sat, 7 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 11 g protein; 6 g fiber; 385 mg sodium; 503 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (242% daily value), Vitamin A (40% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 carbohydrate (other), 2 vegetable, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- January/February 2011