Broccoli with Creamy Parmesan Sauce
From EatingWell: January/February 2011
Topping steamed broccoli with a good-for-you cheese sauce is an easy way to entice picky eaters to eat their veggies.
- 1 pound broccoli
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup nonfat milk, divided
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of ground white pepper
- Pinch of ground nutmeg (optional)
- Trim 1/2 inch off broccoli stalks; remove the tough outer layer with a vegetable peeler. Cut the broccoli lengthwise so the florets attached to the long stalks are 1 to 2 inches wide. Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a Dutch oven fitted with a steamer basket. Steam the broccoli until tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk flour and 1/4 cup milk in a small bowl until smooth. Heat the remaining 3/4 cup milk in a saucepan over medium-low heat until steaming. Whisk in the flour mixture; cook, whisking, until thickened, 2 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat; add cheese, salt, pepper and nutmeg (if using). Drizzle over the broccoli. Serve warm.
Per serving: 95 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 8 g protein; 2 g fiber; 347 mg sodium; 329 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (103% daily value), Calcium (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- January/February 2011