Broccoli with Creamy Parmesan Sauce
From EatingWell: January/February 2011
Topping steamed broccoli with a good-for-you cheese sauce is an easy way to entice picky eaters to eat their veggies.
- 1 pound broccoli
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup nonfat milk, divided
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of ground white pepper
- Pinch of ground nutmeg (optional)
- Trim 1/2 inch off broccoli stalks; remove the tough outer layer with a vegetable peeler. Cut the broccoli lengthwise so the florets attached to the long stalks are 1 to 2 inches wide. Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a Dutch oven fitted with a steamer basket. Steam the broccoli until tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk flour and 1/4 cup milk in a small bowl until smooth. Heat the remaining 3/4 cup milk in a saucepan over medium-low heat until steaming. Whisk in the flour mixture; cook, whisking, until thickened, 2 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat; add cheese, salt, pepper and nutmeg (if using). Drizzle over the broccoli. Serve warm.
Per serving: 95 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 8 g protein; 2 g fiber; 347 mg sodium; 329 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (103% daily value), Calcium (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2011