If you want to give this a fancy name, call it a crustless quiche. For a vegetarian version, simply omit the Canadian bacon.
- 2 tablespoons plain dry breadcrumbs
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups 1% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cups cubed whole-wheat country bread, (about 2 slices, crusts removed)
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 slices Canadian bacon, diced (about 2 1/2 ounces)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup grated Monterey Jack, or part-skim mozzarella cheese (4 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch deep-dish pie pan (6-cup capacity) with cooking spray. Add breadcrumbs, tilting to coat bottom and sides.
- Whisk eggs, milk, hot sauce, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add bread and stir to coat. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- Steam broccoli until just tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Refresh under cold water and drain well. Chop coarsely.
- Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon and onion; cook, stirring often, until softened and light golden, 3 to 5 minutes. Add onion mixture and broccoli to the egg mixture; stir in cheese. Pour into the prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake the pie until light golden and set, 45 to 50 minutes. Let cool slightly, cut into wedges and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through step 4. Cover and refrigerate for up to 12 hours.
220 calories; 12 g fat (5 g sat, 3 g mono); 170 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 15 g protein; 3 g fiber; 461 mg sodium; 230 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 medium-fat protein, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat