If you want to give this a fancy name, call it a crustless quiche. For a vegetarian version, simply omit the Canadian bacon.
- 2 tablespoons plain dry breadcrumbs
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups 1% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cups cubed whole-wheat country bread, (about 2 slices, crusts removed)
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 slices Canadian bacon, diced (about 2 1/2 ounces)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup grated Monterey Jack, or part-skim mozzarella cheese (4 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch deep-dish pie pan (6-cup capacity) with cooking spray. Add breadcrumbs, tilting to coat bottom and sides.
- Whisk eggs, milk, hot sauce, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add bread and stir to coat. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- Steam broccoli until just tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Refresh under cold water and drain well. Chop coarsely.
- Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon and onion; cook, stirring often, until softened and light golden, 3 to 5 minutes. Add onion mixture and broccoli to the egg mixture; stir in cheese. Pour into the prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake the pie until light golden and set, 45 to 50 minutes. Let cool slightly, cut into wedges and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through step 4. Cover and refrigerate for up to 12 hours.
220 calories; 12 g fat (5 g sat, 3 g mono); 170 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 15 g protein; 3 g fiber; 461 mg sodium; 230 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 medium-fat protein, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation