If you want to give this a fancy name, call it a crustless quiche. For a vegetarian version, simply omit the Canadian bacon.
- 2 tablespoons plain dry breadcrumbs
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups 1% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cups cubed whole-wheat country bread, (about 2 slices, crusts removed)
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 slices Canadian bacon, diced (about 2 1/2 ounces)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup grated Monterey Jack, or part-skim mozzarella cheese (4 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch deep-dish pie pan (6-cup capacity) with cooking spray. Add breadcrumbs, tilting to coat bottom and sides.
- Whisk eggs, milk, hot sauce, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add bread and stir to coat. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- Steam broccoli until just tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Refresh under cold water and drain well. Chop coarsely.
- Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon and onion; cook, stirring often, until softened and light golden, 3 to 5 minutes. Add onion mixture and broccoli to the egg mixture; stir in cheese. Pour into the prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake the pie until light golden and set, 45 to 50 minutes. Let cool slightly, cut into wedges and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through step 4. Cover and refrigerate for up to 12 hours.
220 calories; 12 g fat (5 g sat, 3 g mono); 170 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 15 g protein; 3 g fiber; 461 mg sodium; 230 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 medium-fat protein, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient