From EatingWell: September/October 2014
In this healthy broccoli-Cheddar-chicken chowder recipe, heavy cream is replaced with milk and flour-thickened chicken broth and we keep sodium amounts reasonable with lower-sodium broth. By making your own homemade creamy broccoli, Cheddar and chicken chowder, you’ll save up to 300 calories, 20 grams of saturated fat and 500 milligrams of sodium per serving compared to many store-bought or restaurant chowders.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 2 cups diced Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, plus more for garnish
- Finely diced red onion for garnish
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and celery; cook, stirring frequently, until softened and beginning to brown, 3 to 6 minutes. Sprinkle flour, dry mustard, salt and pepper over the vegetables and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Add broth and milk; bring to a gentle boil, stirring constantly.
- Stir in broccoli and potatoes and bring just to a simmer. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Add chicken and 1 cup Cheddar and cook, stirring frequently, until cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes. Serve topped with a little more Cheddar and red onion, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days, slowly reheat over medium-low or microwave on Medium power.
Per serving: 352 calories; 17 g fat (6 g sat, 8 g mono); 66 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g total sugars; 27 g protein; 3 g fiber; 664 mg sodium; 724 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (64% daily value), Vitamin A (28% dv), Calcium (23% dv), Potassium (21% dv), Folate (19% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1/2 high-fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2014