Broccoli, Cannellini Bean & Cheddar Soup
From EatingWell: September/October 2007
White beans pureed into this broccoli soup make it extra creamy so you don't need heaps of cheese to do the job. Serve with a crunchy whole-grain roll and a glass of winter ale.
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound broccoli crowns, trimmed and chopped (about 6 cups)
- 1 14-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed (see Tip)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- Bring broth and water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Add broccoli, cover and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Stir in beans, salt and pepper and cook until the beans are heated through, about 1 minute.
- Transfer half the mixture to a blender with half the cheese and puree. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Transfer to a bowl. Repeat with the remaining broccoli mixture and cheese. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: While we love the convenience of canned beans, they tend to be high in sodium. Give them a good rinse before adding to a recipe to rid them of some of their sodium (up to 35 percent) or opt for low-sodium or no-salt-added varieties. (These recipes are analyzed with rinsed, regular canned beans.) Or, if you have the time, cook your own beans from scratch.
Per serving: 152 calories; 7 g fat (4 g sat, 0 g mono); 20 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 6 g fiber; 558 mg sodium; 491 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (94% daily value), Vitamin A (25% dv), Calcium (21% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- September/October 2007