Broccoli, Cannellini Bean & Cheddar Soup
From EatingWell: September/October 2007
White beans pureed into this broccoli soup make it extra creamy so you don't need heaps of cheese to do the job. Serve with a crunchy whole-grain roll and a glass of winter ale.
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound broccoli crowns, trimmed and chopped (about 6 cups)
- 1 14-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed (see Tip)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- Bring broth and water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Add broccoli, cover and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Stir in beans, salt and pepper and cook until the beans are heated through, about 1 minute.
- Transfer half the mixture to a blender with half the cheese and puree. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Transfer to a bowl. Repeat with the remaining broccoli mixture and cheese. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: While we love the convenience of canned beans, they tend to be high in sodium. Give them a good rinse before adding to a recipe to rid them of some of their sodium (up to 35 percent) or opt for low-sodium or no-salt-added varieties. (These recipes are analyzed with rinsed, regular canned beans.) Or, if you have the time, cook your own beans from scratch.
Per serving: 152 calories; 7 g fat (4 g sat, 0 g mono); 20 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 6 g fiber; 558 mg sodium; 491 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (94% daily value), Vitamin A (25% dv), Calcium (21% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- September/October 2007