From EatingWell: May/June 2009
A picnic favorite, this salad combines broccoli, water chestnuts, cranberries and just a little bacon for delicious results. Our version has plenty of creaminess without all the fat. Make it once and it will become a regular on your backyard barbecue menu.
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 cups finely chopped broccoli crowns , (see Tip)
- 1 8-ounce can sliced water chestnuts, rinsed and chopped
- 3 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons dried cranberries
- Freshly ground pepper , to taste
- Whisk garlic, mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar and sugar in a large bowl. Add broccoli, water chestnuts, bacon, cranberries and pepper; stir to coat with the dressing.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
- Tip: Most supermarkets sell broccoli crowns, which are the tops of the bunches, with the stalks cut off. Although crowns are more expensive than entire bunches, they are convenient and there is considerably less waste.
Per serving: 89 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 200 mg sodium; 193 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (70% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- May/June 2009