Brisket Sloppy Joes
From EatingWell: January/February 2011
Chop the slow-cooked brisket and load up the sauce with veggies and some sweet and spicy seasonings and you get a great alternative to the traditional Sloppy Joe filling. These are best served open-face with a fork and knife. If you like your Joes extra sloppy, add more sauce along with the meat.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced (optional)
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups chopped Slow-Cooked Brisket (recipe follows)
- 2 cups Onion Gravy from brisket, or more if desired
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 whole-wheat or onion buns, split and warmed
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add bell pepper and jalapeño (if using) and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add tomatoes, chili powder and salt and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add brisket, gravy, molasses and brown sugar; stir well. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes to meld flavors. Serve on warm buns.
Per serving: 461 calories; 15 g fat (4 g sat, 8 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 34 g added sugars; 34 g protein; 6 g fiber; 855 mg sodium; 864 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (73% daily value), Vitamin C (63% dv), Magnesium (25% dv), Potassium (22% dv), Vitamin A (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 carbohydrate (other), 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Super Bowl
- January/February 2011