Brisket Sloppy Joes
From EatingWell: January/February 2011
Chop the slow-cooked brisket and load up the sauce with veggies and some sweet and spicy seasonings and you get a great alternative to the traditional Sloppy Joe filling. These are best served open-face with a fork and knife. If you like your Joes extra sloppy, add more sauce along with the meat.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced (optional)
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups chopped Slow-Cooked Brisket (recipe follows)
- 2 cups Onion Gravy from brisket, or more if desired
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 whole-wheat or onion buns, split and warmed
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add bell pepper and jalapeño (if using) and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add tomatoes, chili powder and salt and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add brisket, gravy, molasses and brown sugar; stir well. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes to meld flavors. Serve on warm buns.
Per serving: 461 calories; 15 g fat (4 g sat, 8 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 34 g added sugars; 34 g protein; 6 g fiber; 855 mg sodium; 864 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (73% daily value), Vitamin C (63% dv), Magnesium (25% dv), Potassium (22% dv), Vitamin A (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 carbohydrate (other), 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Super Bowl
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2011