Brisket Sloppy Joes
From EatingWell: January/February 2011
Chop the slow-cooked brisket and load up the sauce with veggies and some sweet and spicy seasonings and you get a great alternative to the traditional Sloppy Joe filling. These are best served open-face with a fork and knife. If you like your Joes extra sloppy, add more sauce along with the meat.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced (optional)
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups chopped Slow-Cooked Brisket (recipe follows)
- 2 cups Onion Gravy from brisket, or more if desired
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 whole-wheat or onion buns, split and warmed
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add bell pepper and jalapeño (if using) and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add tomatoes, chili powder and salt and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add brisket, gravy, molasses and brown sugar; stir well. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes to meld flavors. Serve on warm buns.
Per serving: 461 calories; 15 g fat (4 g sat, 8 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 34 g added sugars; 34 g protein; 6 g fiber; 855 mg sodium; 864 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (73% daily value), Vitamin C (63% dv), Magnesium (25% dv), Potassium (22% dv), Vitamin A (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 carbohydrate (other), 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Super Bowl
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2011