Brisket Sloppy Joes
From EatingWell: January/February 2011
Chop the slow-cooked brisket and load up the sauce with veggies and some sweet and spicy seasonings and you get a great alternative to the traditional Sloppy Joe filling. These are best served open-face with a fork and knife. If you like your Joes extra sloppy, add more sauce along with the meat.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced (optional)
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups chopped Slow-Cooked Brisket (recipe follows)
- 2 cups Onion Gravy from brisket, or more if desired
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 whole-wheat or onion buns, split and warmed
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add bell pepper and jalapeño (if using) and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add tomatoes, chili powder and salt and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add brisket, gravy, molasses and brown sugar; stir well. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes to meld flavors. Serve on warm buns.
Per serving: 461 calories; 15 g fat (4 g sat, 8 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 34 g added sugars; 34 g protein; 6 g fiber; 855 mg sodium; 864 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (73% daily value), Vitamin C (63% dv), Magnesium (25% dv), Potassium (22% dv), Vitamin A (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 carbohydrate (other), 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Super Bowl
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2011