I had been wanting to try this for a while and a cold weekend morning seemed like the right time. It's amazing--well worth the extra time/steps it took to make it. I didn't change a thing--except taking another reviewer's advice to put the raisins in from the start to plump them up.
Spiced Breakfast Quinoa
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
Quinoa is often turned into a creamy hot breakfast cereal in Bolivia, where much of the world’s quinoa is grown. This healthy breakfast quinoa recipe is a hot cereal that is infused with an aromatic chai-inspired blend of spices—cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
6 Reviews for Spiced Breakfast Quinoa
I pretty much followed the recipe to the letter, except that I put the raisins in right from the start so that they would plump up and be nice and juicy. It makes a big difference. Next time I would probably add a wee bit more cinnamon and vanilla, but it was still really good just the way it's written!
We enjoyed this. I did use freshly grated nutmeg and a touch more cinnamon. To the finished product I mixed in toasted walnuts and pepitas and topped each bowl with unsweetened, shredded coconut. Its a keeper in our house!
I used almond-coconut milk and added 1/8 tsp. of cardamom and allspice to more closely mimic my favorite chai. It was fast and delicious. Let it sit for a few minutes before eating to let everything meld together. It's a keeper.
It's worth making just for the amazing smells from those spices. The quinoa had an interesting texture that I'm not sure I like so next time I'll make it with regular oat meal.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)