Spiced Breakfast Quinoa
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
Quinoa is often turned into a creamy hot breakfast cereal in Bolivia, where much of the world’s quinoa is grown. This healthy breakfast quinoa recipe is a hot cereal that is infused with an aromatic chai-inspired blend of spices—cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoons currants or raisins
- Place quinoa in a fine-mesh sieve and rinse well with cold water. Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add quinoa and cook, stirring, until the grains are separated and smell fragrant, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in milk, water, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the quinoa is tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in honey and vanilla.
- Whisk egg white in a small bowl with 1 tablespoon of the hot cereal. Repeat with 5 more tablespoons until the egg white is completely incorporated. Stir in currants (or raisins). Return the cereal to the saucepan and cook, stirring, over medium-low heat until thickened slightly, 1 to 2 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day; serve cold or reheat over low heat or in the microwave; thin with water or milk as desired.
Per serving: 311 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 58 g carbohydrates; 17 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 4 g fiber; 161 mg sodium; 547 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (26% daily value), Folate (22% dv), Calcium (19% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate, 1/2 lowfat milk
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 2013