Spiced Breakfast Quinoa
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
Quinoa is often turned into a creamy hot breakfast cereal in Bolivia, where much of the world’s quinoa is grown. This healthy breakfast quinoa recipe is a hot cereal that is infused with an aromatic chai-inspired blend of spices—cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoons currants or raisins
- Place quinoa in a fine-mesh sieve and rinse well with cold water. Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add quinoa and cook, stirring, until the grains are separated and smell fragrant, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in milk, water, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the quinoa is tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in honey and vanilla.
- Whisk egg white in a small bowl with 1 tablespoon of the hot cereal. Repeat with 5 more tablespoons until the egg white is completely incorporated. Stir in currants (or raisins). Return the cereal to the saucepan and cook, stirring, over medium-low heat until thickened slightly, 1 to 2 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day; serve cold or reheat over low heat or in the microwave; thin with water or milk as desired.
Per serving: 311 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 58 g carbohydrates; 17 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 4 g fiber; 161 mg sodium; 547 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (26% daily value), Folate (22% dv), Calcium (19% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate, 1/2 lowfat milk
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 2013