Spiced Breakfast Quinoa
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
Quinoa is often turned into a creamy hot breakfast cereal in Bolivia, where much of the world’s quinoa is grown. This healthy breakfast quinoa recipe is a hot cereal that is infused with an aromatic chai-inspired blend of spices—cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoons currants or raisins
- Place quinoa in a fine-mesh sieve and rinse well with cold water. Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add quinoa and cook, stirring, until the grains are separated and smell fragrant, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in milk, water, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the quinoa is tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in honey and vanilla.
- Whisk egg white in a small bowl with 1 tablespoon of the hot cereal. Repeat with 5 more tablespoons until the egg white is completely incorporated. Stir in currants (or raisins). Return the cereal to the saucepan and cook, stirring, over medium-low heat until thickened slightly, 1 to 2 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day; serve cold or reheat over low heat or in the microwave; thin with water or milk as desired.
Per serving: 311 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 58 g carbohydrates; 17 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 4 g fiber; 161 mg sodium; 547 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (26% daily value), Folate (22% dv), Calcium (19% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate, 1/2 lowfat milk
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2013