From EatingWell: EatingWell Fast & Flavorful Meatless Meals (2011)
These breakfast burritos, stuffed with potatoes, scallions, scrambled eggs and cheese, are a great way to start the day when you have time to sit down to a real meal. They also make a fabulous easy dinner. Add a side of black beans and some corn sautéed with chiles and lime juice, and you have breakfast for dinner, south-of-the-border style.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 red potatoes, cooked (see Tips), peeled, if desired, and diced (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions (4-6 scallions), divided
- 1 tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 4-ounce can chopped green chiles, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 corn tortillas or small whole-wheat flour tortillas, warmed (see Tips)
- 1/2 cup tomato salsa
- 1/4 cup shredded Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add potatoes and 1/3 cup scallions and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomato and chiles and cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Beat eggs, egg whites and cayenne with a fork in a small bowl. Push the vegetables away from the center of the pan and pour in the egg mixture. Cook, stirring the eggs with a wooden spoon, until some curds have formed but the mixture is still creamy, 1 to 2 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro and stir the eggs and vegetables together.
- Divide the egg mixture among warm tortillas and roll each one into a burrito. Top each with a spoonful of salsa, a little cheese and some of the remaining chopped scallions. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: Poke several holes in potatoes and microwave on High until cooked through, 8 to 12 minutes.
- To warm tortillas, wrap in barely damp paper towels and microwave on High for 30 to 45 seconds or wrap in foil and bake at 300°F until steaming, 5 to 10 minutes.
Per serving: 232 calories; 7 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 100 mg cholesterol; 33 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 11 g protein; 5 g fiber; 540 mg sodium; 822 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (37% daily value), Potassium (23% dv), Magnesium & Vitamin A (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Cinco de Mayo