From EatingWell: EatingWell Fast & Flavorful Meatless Meals (2011)
These breakfast burritos, stuffed with potatoes, scallions, scrambled eggs and cheese, are a great way to start the day when you have time to sit down to a real meal. They also make a fabulous easy dinner. Add a side of black beans and some corn sautéed with chiles and lime juice, and you have breakfast for dinner, south-of-the-border style.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 red potatoes, cooked (see Tips), peeled, if desired, and diced (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions (4-6 scallions), divided
- 1 tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 4-ounce can chopped green chiles, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 corn tortillas or small whole-wheat flour tortillas, warmed (see Tips)
- 1/2 cup tomato salsa
- 1/4 cup shredded Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add potatoes and 1/3 cup scallions and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomato and chiles and cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Beat eggs, egg whites and cayenne with a fork in a small bowl. Push the vegetables away from the center of the pan and pour in the egg mixture. Cook, stirring the eggs with a wooden spoon, until some curds have formed but the mixture is still creamy, 1 to 2 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro and stir the eggs and vegetables together.
- Divide the egg mixture among warm tortillas and roll each one into a burrito. Top each with a spoonful of salsa, a little cheese and some of the remaining chopped scallions. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: Poke several holes in potatoes and microwave on High until cooked through, 8 to 12 minutes.
- To warm tortillas, wrap in barely damp paper towels and microwave on High for 30 to 45 seconds or wrap in foil and bake at 300°F until steaming, 5 to 10 minutes.
Per serving: 232 calories; 7 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 100 mg cholesterol; 33 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 11 g protein; 5 g fiber; 540 mg sodium; 822 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (37% daily value), Potassium (23% dv), Magnesium & Vitamin A (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean fat meat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Cinco de Mayo