Breakfast Blueberry-Oatmeal Cakes
From EatingWell: March/April 2014
This oatmeal-meets-muffin-tin cake recipe is perfect for having a healthy breakfast available on busy weekdays. Make a batch on the weekend and keep them in your freezer. For a grab-and-go breakfast, reheat the oatmeal cakes in the microwave for about 40 seconds.
- 2 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Combine oats and milk in a large bowl. Cover and let soak in the refrigerator until much of the liquid is absorbed, at least 8 hours and up to 12 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 12-cup nonstick muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Stir egg, maple syrup, oil, vanilla, cinnamon, baking powder and salt into the soaked oats until well combined. Divide the mixture among the muffin cups (about 1/4 cup each). Top each with 1 tablespoon blueberries.
- Bake the oatmeal cakes until they spring back when touched, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool in the pan for a 10 minutes. Loosen and remove with a paring knife. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Wrap airtight and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Per serving: 264 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 34 mg cholesterol; 41 g carbohydrates; 12 g added sugars; 18 g total sugars; 7 g protein; 4 g fiber; 219 mg sodium; 277 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (26% daily value), Calcium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2014