Breakfast Blueberry-Oatmeal Cakes
From EatingWell: March/April 2014
This oatmeal-meets-muffin-tin cake recipe is perfect for having a healthy breakfast available on busy weekdays. Make a batch on the weekend and keep them in your freezer. For a grab-and-go breakfast, reheat the oatmeal cakes in the microwave for about 40 seconds.
- 2 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Combine oats and milk in a large bowl. Cover and let soak in the refrigerator until much of the liquid is absorbed, at least 8 hours and up to 12 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 12-cup nonstick muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Stir egg, maple syrup, oil, vanilla, cinnamon, baking powder and salt into the soaked oats until well combined. Divide the mixture among the muffin cups (about 1/4 cup each). Top each with 1 tablespoon blueberries.
- Bake the oatmeal cakes until they spring back when touched, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool in the pan for a 10 minutes. Loosen and remove with a paring knife. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Wrap airtight and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Per serving: 264 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 34 mg cholesterol; 41 g carbohydrates; 12 g added sugars; 18 g total sugars; 7 g protein; 4 g fiber; 219 mg sodium; 277 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (26% daily value), Calcium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2014