Bread & Tomato Salad
When it's too hot to cook, just step outside and gather tomatoes and basil from your garden, cut up some day-old country bread and make this flavorful, easy salad, our take on the classic Italian bread salad known as panzanella.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 cups diced seeded tomatoes, (1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 cups cubed whole-wheat country bread, (5 ounces), crusts removed
- 1/4 cup thinly slivered red onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 4 4-1/2-ounce cans sardines, (see Ingredient note), optional
- Whisk oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add tomatoes, bread, onion, basil and capers. Toss to combine. Let the salad sit for about 5 minutes to allow it to absorb the dressing's flavors, stirring occasionally. Serve at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Our test kitchen is fond of Bela brand sardines from Olhao, Portugal. They are firm, lightly smoked and succulent.
Per serving: 168 calories; 17 g fat (2 g sat, 9 g mono); 107 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 22 g protein; 3 g fiber; 657 mg sodium; 666 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 11/2 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique