Bread & Tomato Salad
When it's too hot to cook, just step outside and gather tomatoes and basil from your garden, cut up some day-old country bread and make this flavorful, easy salad, our take on the classic Italian bread salad known as panzanella.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 cups diced seeded tomatoes, (1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 cups cubed whole-wheat country bread, (5 ounces), crusts removed
- 1/4 cup thinly slivered red onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 4 4-1/2-ounce cans sardines, (see Ingredient note), optional
- Whisk oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add tomatoes, bread, onion, basil and capers. Toss to combine. Let the salad sit for about 5 minutes to allow it to absorb the dressing's flavors, stirring occasionally. Serve at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Our test kitchen is fond of Bela brand sardines from Olhao, Portugal. They are firm, lightly smoked and succulent.
Per serving: 168 calories; 17 g fat (2 g sat, 9 g mono); 107 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 22 g protein; 3 g fiber; 657 mg sodium; 666 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 11/2 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique