Bread & Butter Pickles
From EatingWell: July/August 2010
Try these tangy-sweet bread-and-butter pickles on a tuna sandwich or chopped in a tartar sauce for sautéed fish fillets.
- 2 1/2 pounds pickling cucumbers or other small cucumbers, cut into 1/8- to 1/4-inch-thick slices (about 9 cups)
- 1 tablespoon pickling spice
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 3 cups distilled white vinegar or cider vinegar
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Divide cucumber slices among 6 pint-size (2-cup) canning jars or similar-size tempered-glass or heatproof-plastic containers with lids. Add 1/2 teaspoon pickling spice and 1/2 teaspoon turmeric to each jar.
- Combine vinegar, 3 cups water, sugar and salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil and stir until the sugar and salt dissolve. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Carefully fill jars (or containers) with brine to within 1/2 inch of the rim, covering the cucumbers completely. (Discard any leftover brine.)
- Place the lids on the jars (or containers). Refrigerate for at least 24 hours before serving. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 month. | Equipment: 6 pint-size (2-cup) canning jars or similar-size tempered-glass or heatproof-plastic containers with lids
Per 1/4-cup serving: 7 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 27 mg sodium; 38 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: Free food
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Gluten free
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2010