Bread & Butter Pickles
From EatingWell: July/August 2010
Try these tangy-sweet bread-and-butter pickles on a tuna sandwich or chopped in a tartar sauce for sautéed fish fillets.
- 2 1/2 pounds pickling cucumbers or other small cucumbers, cut into 1/8- to 1/4-inch-thick slices (about 9 cups)
- 1 tablespoon pickling spice
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 3 cups distilled white vinegar or cider vinegar
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Divide cucumber slices among 6 pint-size (2-cup) canning jars or similar-size tempered-glass or heatproof-plastic containers with lids. Add 1/2 teaspoon pickling spice and 1/2 teaspoon turmeric to each jar.
- Combine vinegar, 3 cups water, sugar and salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil and stir until the sugar and salt dissolve. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Carefully fill jars (or containers) with brine to within 1/2 inch of the rim, covering the cucumbers completely. (Discard any leftover brine.)
- Place the lids on the jars (or containers). Refrigerate for at least 24 hours before serving. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 month. | Equipment: 6 pint-size (2-cup) canning jars or similar-size tempered-glass or heatproof-plastic containers with lids
Per 1/4-cup serving: 7 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 27 mg sodium; 38 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: Free food
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Gluten free
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- July/August 2010