Brazilian Grilled Flank Steak
Barbecued meats (churrasco) are served in churrascarias, Brazilian barbecued-meat restaurants, with a salsa-like sauce as an accompaniment. Since hearts of palm show up at every salad bar in these restaurants, we've added them to the sauce to give it a tasty twist.
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 small hot pepper, such as jalapeño or serrano, minced
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 pounds flank steak
- 1 14-ounce can hearts of palm, drained, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 small hot chile, such as jalapeño or serrano, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat grill to high (see Broiling Variation).
- To prepare steak: Combine garlic, hot pepper, oil and salt in a small bowl. Rub the mixture on both sides of steak.
- To prepare salsa: Combine hearts of palm, tomatoes, onion, hot pepper, cilantro, vinegar and salt in a medium bowl.
- Reduce grill heat to medium and grill the steak 4 to 6 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to a cutting board, tent with foil and let rest for 5 minutes. Cut the steak across the grain into thin pieces. Serve with the salsa.
Tips & Notes
- Broiling variation:
- Instead of grilling, in Step 1 position oven rack 6 inches from the heat source and preheat broiler. In Step 4, cook steak on a broiler pan under the broiler until medium-rare, turning once, about 10 minutes total.
Per serving: 215 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 37 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 2 g fiber; 341 mg sodium; 627 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (36% daily value), Vitamin C (25% dv), Iron (20% dv), Potassium (18% dv), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Central/South American
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient