Brazilian Grilled Flank Steak
Barbecued meats (churrasco) are served in churrascarias, Brazilian barbecued-meat restaurants, with a salsa-like sauce as an accompaniment. Since hearts of palm show up at every salad bar in these restaurants, we've added them to the sauce to give it a tasty twist.
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 small hot pepper, such as jalapeño or serrano, minced
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 pounds flank steak
- 1 14-ounce can hearts of palm, drained, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 small hot chile, such as jalapeño or serrano, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat grill to high (see Broiling Variation).
- To prepare steak: Combine garlic, hot pepper, oil and salt in a small bowl. Rub the mixture on both sides of steak.
- To prepare salsa: Combine hearts of palm, tomatoes, onion, hot pepper, cilantro, vinegar and salt in a medium bowl.
- Reduce grill heat to medium and grill the steak 4 to 6 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to a cutting board, tent with foil and let rest for 5 minutes. Cut the steak across the grain into thin pieces. Serve with the salsa.
Tips & Notes
- Broiling variation:
- Instead of grilling, in Step 1 position oven rack 6 inches from the heat source and preheat broiler. In Step 4, cook steak on a broiler pan under the broiler until medium-rare, turning once, about 10 minutes total.
Per serving: 215 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 37 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 2 g fiber; 341 mg sodium; 627 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (36% daily value), Vitamin C (25% dv), Iron (20% dv), Potassium (18% dv), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- 8 or more
- Central/South American
- Main Ingredient