Brazilian Grilled Flank Steak
Barbecued meats (churrasco) are served in churrascarias, Brazilian barbecued-meat restaurants, with a salsa-like sauce as an accompaniment. Since hearts of palm show up at every salad bar in these restaurants, we've added them to the sauce to give it a tasty twist.
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 small hot pepper, such as jalapeño or serrano, minced
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 pounds flank steak
- 1 14-ounce can hearts of palm, drained, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 small hot chile, such as jalapeño or serrano, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat grill to high (see Broiling Variation).
- To prepare steak: Combine garlic, hot pepper, oil and salt in a small bowl. Rub the mixture on both sides of steak.
- To prepare salsa: Combine hearts of palm, tomatoes, onion, hot pepper, cilantro, vinegar and salt in a medium bowl.
- Reduce grill heat to medium and grill the steak 4 to 6 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to a cutting board, tent with foil and let rest for 5 minutes. Cut the steak across the grain into thin pieces. Serve with the salsa.
Tips & Notes
- Broiling variation:
- Instead of grilling, in Step 1 position oven rack 6 inches from the heat source and preheat broiler. In Step 4, cook steak on a broiler pan under the broiler until medium-rare, turning once, about 10 minutes total.
Per serving: 215 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 37 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 2 g fiber; 341 mg sodium; 627 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (36% daily value), Vitamin C (25% dv), Iron (20% dv), Potassium (18% dv), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Central/South American
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient