Brandied Vanilla & Banana Cream Pudding in Chocolate Cups
Banana pudding may sound like kids stuff, but brandy and malt powder make it more special for the adult table. Make the cookie cups and chocolate sauce while the pudding chills.
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 3 cups low-fat milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons malt powder, (see Note)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large ripe banana
- 2 tablespoons Cognac, or other brandy
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Chocolate Cookie Cups, (recipe follows)
- Silky Chocolate Sauce, (recipe follows)
- Chocolate curls, for garnish (see Tip), optional
- Scrape vanilla bean seeds with a paring knife into a medium saucepan; add milk and vanilla bean. Heat over low heat until steaming, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk egg, sugar, cornstarch, malt and salt in a medium bowl until smooth. Gradually whisk in hot milk, then return mixture to pan.
- Cook the milk mixture, whisking constantly, over medium heat, until it thickens and comes to a simmer, 3 to 5 minutes. Strain through a fine sieve into a bowl. Discard vanilla bean. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on pudding. Refrigerate until cold, 4 hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, peel and dice banana. Place in a small bowl and toss with Cognac and lemon juice. Stir into pudding.
- To assemble, divide cookie cups among 8 plates and spoon in pudding. Drizzle 3 tablespoons chocolate sauce around each cup. Top pudding with chocolate curls, if desired. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Malt powder is available in supermarkets. Look for it near the powdered milk and instant-breakfast drinks.
- Tip: To make chocolate curls: Place a block of chocolate (2 ounces or larger) on wax paper and microwave on medium-low for 15 seconds. Turn chocolate block over and microwave for 10 to 15 seconds longer, or until chocolate has softened slightly but has not started to melt. Use a swivel-bladed vegetable peeler to shave off curls. If the chocolate gets too hard to shave easily, warm it again.
Per serving: 335 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 38 mg cholesterol; 66 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 2 g fiber; 230 mg sodium; 205 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (19% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 low-fat milk, 4 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Ease of Preparation