Brandied Vanilla & Banana Cream Pudding in Chocolate Cups
Banana pudding may sound like kids stuff, but brandy and malt powder make it more special for the adult table. Make the cookie cups and chocolate sauce while the pudding chills.
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 3 cups low-fat milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons malt powder, (see Note)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large ripe banana
- 2 tablespoons Cognac, or other brandy
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Chocolate Cookie Cups, (recipe follows)
- Silky Chocolate Sauce, (recipe follows)
- Chocolate curls, for garnish (see Tip), optional
- Scrape vanilla bean seeds with a paring knife into a medium saucepan; add milk and vanilla bean. Heat over low heat until steaming, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk egg, sugar, cornstarch, malt and salt in a medium bowl until smooth. Gradually whisk in hot milk, then return mixture to pan.
- Cook the milk mixture, whisking constantly, over medium heat, until it thickens and comes to a simmer, 3 to 5 minutes. Strain through a fine sieve into a bowl. Discard vanilla bean. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on pudding. Refrigerate until cold, 4 hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, peel and dice banana. Place in a small bowl and toss with Cognac and lemon juice. Stir into pudding.
- To assemble, divide cookie cups among 8 plates and spoon in pudding. Drizzle 3 tablespoons chocolate sauce around each cup. Top pudding with chocolate curls, if desired. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Malt powder is available in supermarkets. Look for it near the powdered milk and instant-breakfast drinks.
- Tip: To make chocolate curls: Place a block of chocolate (2 ounces or larger) on wax paper and microwave on medium-low for 15 seconds. Turn chocolate block over and microwave for 10 to 15 seconds longer, or until chocolate has softened slightly but has not started to melt. Use a swivel-bladed vegetable peeler to shave off curls. If the chocolate gets too hard to shave easily, warm it again.
Per serving: 335 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 38 mg cholesterol; 66 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 2 g fiber; 230 mg sodium; 205 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (19% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 low-fat milk, 4 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Ease of Preparation