Brandied Prunes with Orange
From EatingWell: November/December 1993
Moist, plump prunes work best here. Serve with roast pork or game, or use as a stuffing for pork tenderloin.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 cups brandy
- 2 pounds prunes, (not pitted)
- 4 3-inch-long strips orange zest
- 1 teaspoon allspice berries
- Combine sugar and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over low heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Simmer, washing down the sides of the pan with a pastry brush dipped in cold water, for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in brandy. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Divide the prunes among four 1-pint or two 1-quart sterilized jars. Put some orange zest and allspice berries into each jar. Pour the brandy syrup over the prunes, adding additional brandy, if necessary, to cover the prunes completely. Close lids and let the jars stand in a cool, dry place for at least 1 month to allow flavors to blend.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in a cool, dry place for up to 1 year.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 148 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 1 mg sodium; 181 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1993