Brandied Prunes with Orange
From EatingWell: November/December 1993
Moist, plump prunes work best here. Serve with roast pork or game, or use as a stuffing for pork tenderloin.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 cups brandy
- 2 pounds prunes, (not pitted)
- 4 3-inch-long strips orange zest
- 1 teaspoon allspice berries
- Combine sugar and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over low heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Simmer, washing down the sides of the pan with a pastry brush dipped in cold water, for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in brandy. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Divide the prunes among four 1-pint or two 1-quart sterilized jars. Put some orange zest and allspice berries into each jar. Pour the brandy syrup over the prunes, adding additional brandy, if necessary, to cover the prunes completely. Close lids and let the jars stand in a cool, dry place for at least 1 month to allow flavors to blend.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in a cool, dry place for up to 1 year.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 148 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 1 mg sodium; 181 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- November/December 1993
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)