From EatingWell: October 1998
Clafouti is a rustic French dessert where a thick batter is poured over fruit and baked in the oven until puffy. Brandied prunes are used here, but feel free to use your favorite dried or fresh fruit instead.
- 1/2 cup pitted prunes,diced
- 3 tablespoons brandy, preferably Armagnac
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar for dusting
- Combine prunes and brandy in a small bowl. Let soak for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 9-inch round glass or ceramic baking dish with cooking spray.
- Whisk eggs and sugar in a medium bowl until blended. Gradually whisk in flour until smooth. Whisk in milk, vanilla and salt. Drain the brandy from the prunes into batter and whisk until smooth. Scatter the prunes evenly in prepared pan and pour in batter.
- Bake the clafouti until sides are puffed and golden and center is just set, 25 to 35 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature, dusted with confectioners’ sugar.
Per serving: 163 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 108 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 1 g fiber; 154 mg sodium; 143 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- October 1998