From EatingWell: October 1998
Clafouti is a rustic French dessert where a thick batter is poured over fruit and baked in the oven until puffy. Brandied prunes are used here, but feel free to use your favorite dried or fresh fruit instead.
- 1/2 cup pitted prunes,diced
- 3 tablespoons brandy, preferably Armagnac
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar for dusting
- Combine prunes and brandy in a small bowl. Let soak for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 9-inch round glass or ceramic baking dish with cooking spray.
- Whisk eggs and sugar in a medium bowl until blended. Gradually whisk in flour until smooth. Whisk in milk, vanilla and salt. Drain the brandy from the prunes into batter and whisk until smooth. Scatter the prunes evenly in prepared pan and pour in batter.
- Bake the clafouti until sides are puffed and golden and center is just set, 25 to 35 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature, dusted with confectioners’ sugar.
Per serving: 163 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 108 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 1 g fiber; 154 mg sodium; 143 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- October 1998
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)