Perfumed with vanilla and brandy, these nectarines are elegant in their simplicity. Use only perfectly ripe, juicy fruit.
- 1/2 cup brandy, preferably Cognac
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-inch piece vanilla bean
- 4 medium nectarines, halved and pitted
- Stir together brandy and sugar in a skillet large enough to hold the nectarines in a single layer. Add vanilla bean. Place nectarines cut-side down in the skillet and bring to a simmer over low heat. (Be careful working over a gas burner, as the warm brandy is quite flammable.) Cover the pan and simmer the nectarines until just tender when pierced with a skewer, 10 to 15 minutes. Check occasionally to be sure the nectarines are not sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Remove the pan from the heat, uncover and let cool briefly; slip off and discard the nectarine skins if they come away easily. Transfer the nectarines cut-side up to a serving dish and spoon the syrup over the top. Serve warm.
Per serving: 151 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 0 mg sodium; 286 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Mother's Day