Brandied Cherry Sauce
From EatingWell: June/July 2005
Black sweet cherries-sometimes called Bing cherries-are always a great treat, but when spiked with cherry brandy for this topping, they are nearly irresistible.
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup cranberry juice cocktail, or other berry juice drink
- 2 tablespoons kirsch, or other cherry-flavored brandy (see Substitution Tip)
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 3 cups pitted sweet cherries, (fresh or 1 pound frozen, thawed), quartered
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, or to taste
- Whisk sugar and cornstarch in a medium nonreactive saucepan. Add juice, brandy and cinnamon; whisk until well blended. Stir in cherries. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until the mixture boils and thickens, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in lemon juice. Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. To reheat, microwave on High for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir well before serving.
- Substitution Tip: If you prefer to skip the brandy, add 2 extra tablespoons juice.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 63 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 0 mg sodium; 31 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Cherries are a good source of powerful antioxidants, thanks to their anthocyanin and quercetin content.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Super Bowl
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- June/July 2005