Brandied Cherry Sauce
From EatingWell: June/July 2005
Black sweet cherries-sometimes called Bing cherries-are always a great treat, but when spiked with cherry brandy for this topping, they are nearly irresistible.
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup cranberry juice cocktail, or other berry juice drink
- 2 tablespoons kirsch, or other cherry-flavored brandy (see Substitution Tip)
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 3 cups pitted sweet cherries, (fresh or 1 pound frozen, thawed), quartered
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, or to taste
- Whisk sugar and cornstarch in a medium nonreactive saucepan. Add juice, brandy and cinnamon; whisk until well blended. Stir in cherries. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until the mixture boils and thickens, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in lemon juice. Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. To reheat, microwave on High for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir well before serving.
- Substitution Tip: If you prefer to skip the brandy, add 2 extra tablespoons juice.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 63 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 0 mg sodium; 31 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Cherries are a good source of powerful antioxidants, thanks to their anthocyanin and quercetin content.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Super Bowl
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- June/July 2005