Brandied Cherry Sauce
From EatingWell: June/July 2005
Black sweet cherries-sometimes called Bing cherries-are always a great treat, but when spiked with cherry brandy for this topping, they are nearly irresistible.
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup cranberry juice cocktail, or other berry juice drink
- 2 tablespoons kirsch, or other cherry-flavored brandy (see Substitution Tip)
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 3 cups pitted sweet cherries, (fresh or 1 pound frozen, thawed), quartered
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, or to taste
- Whisk sugar and cornstarch in a medium nonreactive saucepan. Add juice, brandy and cinnamon; whisk until well blended. Stir in cherries. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until the mixture boils and thickens, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in lemon juice. Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. To reheat, microwave on High for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir well before serving.
- Substitution Tip: If you prefer to skip the brandy, add 2 extra tablespoons juice.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 63 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 0 mg sodium; 31 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Cherries are a good source of powerful antioxidants, thanks to their anthocyanin and quercetin content.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Super Bowl
- June/July 2005