Brandied Cherry Sauce
From EatingWell: June/July 2005
Black sweet cherries-sometimes called Bing cherries-are always a great treat, but when spiked with cherry brandy for this topping, they are nearly irresistible.
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup cranberry juice cocktail, or other berry juice drink
- 2 tablespoons kirsch, or other cherry-flavored brandy (see Substitution Tip)
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 3 cups pitted sweet cherries, (fresh or 1 pound frozen, thawed), quartered
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, or to taste
- Whisk sugar and cornstarch in a medium nonreactive saucepan. Add juice, brandy and cinnamon; whisk until well blended. Stir in cherries. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until the mixture boils and thickens, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in lemon juice. Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. To reheat, microwave on High for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir well before serving.
- Substitution Tip: If you prefer to skip the brandy, add 2 extra tablespoons juice.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 63 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 0 mg sodium; 31 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Cherries are a good source of powerful antioxidants, thanks to their anthocyanin and quercetin content.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Super Bowl
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- June/July 2005