Brandied Cherry Sauce
From EatingWell: June/July 2005
Black sweet cherries-sometimes called Bing cherries-are always a great treat, but when spiked with cherry brandy for this topping, they are nearly irresistible.
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup cranberry juice cocktail, or other berry juice drink
- 2 tablespoons kirsch, or other cherry-flavored brandy (see Substitution Tip)
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 3 cups pitted sweet cherries, (fresh or 1 pound frozen, thawed), quartered
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, or to taste
- Whisk sugar and cornstarch in a medium nonreactive saucepan. Add juice, brandy and cinnamon; whisk until well blended. Stir in cherries. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until the mixture boils and thickens, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in lemon juice. Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. To reheat, microwave on High for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir well before serving.
- Substitution Tip: If you prefer to skip the brandy, add 2 extra tablespoons juice.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 63 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 0 mg sodium; 31 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Cherries are a good source of powerful antioxidants, thanks to their anthocyanin and quercetin content.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Super Bowl
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- June/July 2005