Braised Winter Vegetable Pasta
From EatingWell: November/December 2010
In this vegetable-studded vegan dish we braise cauliflower, butternut squash and pasta in white wine and broth in an unconventional technique that yields delicious results. Serve with a spinach salad with red onion, orange segments and a light vinaigrette.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage or 1 teaspoon dried rubbed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 8 ounces whole-wheat medium pasta shells or other small pasta
- 2 cups bite-size cauliflower florets
- 2 cups bite-size butternut squash cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 10-ounce bag frozen lima beans, thawed
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and sage and cook, stirring, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add broth and wine; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add pasta, cauliflower, squash, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is not quite tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in lima beans and cook, stirring occasionally, until the lima beans and pasta are tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes more.
Per serving: 468 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 76 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 13 g fiber; 655 mg sodium; 862 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (172% daily value), Vitamin C (78% dv), Magnesium (32% dv), Iron & Potassium (25% dv), Folate (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- November/December 2010
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)