Braised Winter Vegetable Pasta
From EatingWell: November/December 2010
In this vegetable-studded vegan dish we braise cauliflower, butternut squash and pasta in white wine and broth in an unconventional technique that yields delicious results. Serve with a spinach salad with red onion, orange segments and a light vinaigrette.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage or 1 teaspoon dried rubbed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 8 ounces whole-wheat medium pasta shells or other small pasta
- 2 cups bite-size cauliflower florets
- 2 cups bite-size butternut squash cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 10-ounce bag frozen lima beans, thawed
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and sage and cook, stirring, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add broth and wine; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add pasta, cauliflower, squash, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is not quite tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in lima beans and cook, stirring occasionally, until the lima beans and pasta are tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes more.
Per serving: 468 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 76 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 13 g fiber; 655 mg sodium; 862 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (172% daily value), Vitamin C (78% dv), Magnesium (32% dv), Iron & Potassium (25% dv), Folate (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- November/December 2010