Braised Winter Vegetable Pasta
From EatingWell: November/December 2010
In this vegetable-studded vegan dish we braise cauliflower, butternut squash and pasta in white wine and broth in an unconventional technique that yields delicious results. Serve with a spinach salad with red onion, orange segments and a light vinaigrette.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage or 1 teaspoon dried rubbed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 8 ounces whole-wheat medium pasta shells or other small pasta
- 2 cups bite-size cauliflower florets
- 2 cups bite-size butternut squash cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 10-ounce bag frozen lima beans, thawed
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and sage and cook, stirring, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add broth and wine; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add pasta, cauliflower, squash, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is not quite tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in lima beans and cook, stirring occasionally, until the lima beans and pasta are tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes more.
Per serving: 468 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 76 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 13 g fiber; 655 mg sodium; 862 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (172% daily value), Vitamin C (78% dv), Magnesium (32% dv), Iron & Potassium (25% dv), Folate (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- November/December 2010