Braised Winter Vegetable Pasta
From EatingWell: November/December 2010
In this vegetable-studded vegan dish we braise cauliflower, butternut squash and pasta in white wine and broth in an unconventional technique that yields delicious results. Serve with a spinach salad with red onion, orange segments and a light vinaigrette.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage or 1 teaspoon dried rubbed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 8 ounces whole-wheat medium pasta shells or other small pasta
- 2 cups bite-size cauliflower florets
- 2 cups bite-size butternut squash cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 10-ounce bag frozen lima beans, thawed
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and sage and cook, stirring, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add broth and wine; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add pasta, cauliflower, squash, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is not quite tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in lima beans and cook, stirring occasionally, until the lima beans and pasta are tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes more.
Per serving: 468 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 76 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 13 g fiber; 655 mg sodium; 862 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (172% daily value), Vitamin C (78% dv), Magnesium (32% dv), Iron & Potassium (25% dv), Folate (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- November/December 2010