Braised Red Cabbage
From EatingWell: November/December 1995
With its slightly tart accent and caraway seasoning, braised red cabbage is an excellent foil to the richness of the roast pork.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 onions, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 red cabbage (about 3 pounds), halved, cored and sliced
- 2/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until the onions start to turn golden, about 8 minutes. Add cabbage and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage wilts, about 5 minutes. Stir in broth, caraway seeds and sugar; bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over low heat until very tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Uncover and stir in vinegar. Increase heat to high, and cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated, 8 to 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat gently over low heat or in the microwave.
Per serving: 79 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 4 g fiber; 95 mg sodium; 464 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (167% daily value), Vitamin A (38% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- November/December 1995