Braised Red Cabbage
From EatingWell: November/December 1995
With its slightly tart accent and caraway seasoning, braised red cabbage is an excellent foil to the richness of the roast pork.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 onions, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 red cabbage (about 3 pounds), halved, cored and sliced
- 2/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until the onions start to turn golden, about 8 minutes. Add cabbage and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage wilts, about 5 minutes. Stir in broth, caraway seeds and sugar; bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over low heat until very tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Uncover and stir in vinegar. Increase heat to high, and cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated, 8 to 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat gently over low heat or in the microwave.
Per serving: 79 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 4 g fiber; 95 mg sodium; 464 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (167% daily value), Vitamin A (38% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- November/December 1995