Braised Red Cabbage
From EatingWell: November/December 1995
With its slightly tart accent and caraway seasoning, braised red cabbage is an excellent foil to the richness of the roast pork.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 onions, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 red cabbage (about 3 pounds), halved, cored and sliced
- 2/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until the onions start to turn golden, about 8 minutes. Add cabbage and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage wilts, about 5 minutes. Stir in broth, caraway seeds and sugar; bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over low heat until very tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Uncover and stir in vinegar. Increase heat to high, and cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated, 8 to 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat gently over low heat or in the microwave.
Per serving: 79 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 4 g fiber; 95 mg sodium; 464 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (167% daily value), Vitamin A (38% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- November/December 1995
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)