Braised Red Cabbage
From EatingWell: November/December 1995
With its slightly tart accent and caraway seasoning, braised red cabbage is an excellent foil to the richness of the roast pork.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 onions, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 red cabbage (about 3 pounds), halved, cored and sliced
- 2/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until the onions start to turn golden, about 8 minutes. Add cabbage and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage wilts, about 5 minutes. Stir in broth, caraway seeds and sugar; bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over low heat until very tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Uncover and stir in vinegar. Increase heat to high, and cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated, 8 to 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat gently over low heat or in the microwave.
Per serving: 79 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 4 g fiber; 95 mg sodium; 464 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (167% daily value), Vitamin A (38% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- November/December 1995