Braised Paprika Chicken
From EatingWell: January/February 2009
Sweet Hungarian paprika gives this creamy braised chicken the best flavor. This is a good “pantry dish” since you should have the basics on hand and only need to purchase the chicken. You may vary the recipe by using cubed veal shoulder instead of chicken and mushrooms instead of peppers. Serve with whole-wheat orzo flavored with minced parsley or dill.
- 3-3 1/2 pounds bone-in chicken pieces, (thighs, drumsticks and/or breasts), skin removed, trimmed (see Tip)
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups finely diced onions
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh parsley, dill and/or chives
- Pat chicken pieces dry with paper towels and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Heat oil and butter in a large heavy casserole or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and sprinkle with sugar. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are very soft and light brown, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in bell peppers, tomato paste, paprika and crushed red pepper. Add the chicken and stir it gently into the onion mixture. Sprinkle with marjoram and add broth. Cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid and simmer over medium-low heat until the chicken is very tender, about 50 minutes.
- Just before the chicken is done, whisk sour cream, flour and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl until smooth.
- When the chicken is done, remove it to a plate. Stir the sour cream mixture into the sauce; return to a simmer and cook, stirring, until the sauce coats the spoon. Reduce heat to low, return the chicken to the sauce and reheat, about 1 minute. Serve garnished with parsley, dill and/or chives, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3, cool to room temperature and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Finish with Steps 4-5 before serving.
- Tip: If you are using a combination of thighs, drumsticks and breasts, cut each breast in half crosswise to make pieces about the size of a thigh. And if you buy whole legs, separate the drumsticks and thighs. When the pieces are about the same size, they'll cook at about the same rate.
Per serving: 331 calories; 14 g fat (4 g sat, 5 g mono); 116 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 35 g protein; 4 g fiber; 384 mg sodium; 705 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (90% daily value), Vitamin A (50% dv), Potassium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Other European
- New Year's Eve
- January/February 2009
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)