Braised Green Beans & Tomatoes
When you've enjoyed your fill of summer's ripe, raw tomatoes and crisp-tender veggies, try this Italian-inspired braise, where the vegetables surrender into a succulent (lycopene-rich) stew of flavors.
- 8 ripe tomatoes
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Place a strainer over a bowl. Make a small X in the bottom of each tomato and plunge into boiling water for a few seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon and slip off the skin, beginning at the X. Cut tomatoes in half horizontally and, holding one section cut-side down, squeeze gently but firmly into the strainer, which will catch the seeds and allow the flavorful juices to drain through (add them to the recipe if you like). Chop the tomatoes.
- Cook green beans in the boiling water until just tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain and refresh with cold water.
- Heat oil in a large nonreactive saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add fennel seeds and crushed red pepper; cook, stirring, for 30 seconds more. Add tomatoes and the green beans. Cover and cook, stirring often, until the tomatoes form a sauce and the beans are soft, about 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Per serving: 79 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 5 g fiber; 16 mg sodium; 679 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% dv), Vitamin A (35% dv), Potassium (34% dv), Fiber (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable