Braised Green Beans & Summer Vegetables
From EatingWell: May/June 2009
When green beans, summer squash and cherry tomatoes are plentiful in backyard gardens and farmers' markets, try this quick braise. We like the salty, nutty flavor of Parmesan, but you can use any flavorful cheese.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, halved and sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano , or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 cup white wine , or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 1 medium summer squash , or zucchini, halved and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes , or grape tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and oregano and cook, stirring, until softened and beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Add wine (or broth) and bring to a boil. Add green beans, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring once or twice. Add summer squash (or zucchini) and tomatoes and continue cooking until the vegetables are tender, 8 to 10 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper. Serve sprinkled with Parmesan.
Per serving: 92 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 158 mg sodium; 290 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetables, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- May/June 2009