Braised Green Beans & Summer Vegetables
From EatingWell: May/June 2009
When green beans, summer squash and cherry tomatoes are plentiful in backyard gardens and farmers' markets, try this quick braise. We like the salty, nutty flavor of Parmesan, but you can use any flavorful cheese.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, halved and sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano , or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 cup white wine , or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 1 medium summer squash , or zucchini, halved and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes , or grape tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and oregano and cook, stirring, until softened and beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Add wine (or broth) and bring to a boil. Add green beans, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring once or twice. Add summer squash (or zucchini) and tomatoes and continue cooking until the vegetables are tender, 8 to 10 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper. Serve sprinkled with Parmesan.
Per serving: 92 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 158 mg sodium; 290 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetables, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- May/June 2009