Braised Green Beans & Summer Vegetables
From EatingWell: May/June 2009
When green beans, summer squash and cherry tomatoes are plentiful in backyard gardens and farmers' markets, try this quick braise. We like the salty, nutty flavor of Parmesan, but you can use any flavorful cheese.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, halved and sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano , or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 cup white wine , or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 1 medium summer squash , or zucchini, halved and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes , or grape tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and oregano and cook, stirring, until softened and beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Add wine (or broth) and bring to a boil. Add green beans, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring once or twice. Add summer squash (or zucchini) and tomatoes and continue cooking until the vegetables are tender, 8 to 10 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper. Serve sprinkled with Parmesan.
Per serving: 92 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 158 mg sodium; 290 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetables, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Main Ingredient
- May/June 2009