Braised Fennel with Tomatoes & Potatoes
From EatingWell: September/October 2007
Braised fennel, tomatoes and potatoes make a rich and hearty side dish. Serve as an accompaniment to grilled or pan-seared veal chops, chicken breasts and any kind of broiled or baked fish.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large bulb fennel, trimmed, cored and thinly sliced, fronds reserved for garnish
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1/2-3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, or water, divided
- 2 tablespoons Pernod, or other anise-flavored liqueur (optional)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley, or fennel fronds for garnish
- Heat oil in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over high heat. Add fennel and cook, stirring often, until it starts to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Season with fennel seed, salt and pepper. Add tomatoes, bring to a simmer and cook until the tomato juices are slightly reduced, about 4 minutes. Add potatoes and 1/2 cup broth (or water); cover the pan tightly and simmer over medium-low heat, checking every 10 minutes to make sure the pan juices don’t run dry. If necessary, add more broth (or water), 2 tablespoons at a time, to prevent scorching. Simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Uncover, add Pernod (or other liqueur), if using, and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes more. Serve garnished with parsley (or fennel fronds), if desired.
Per serving: 163 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 5 g fiber; 200 mg sodium; 1087 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- September/October 2007
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)