Braised Fennel with Tomatoes & Potatoes
From EatingWell: September/October 2007
Braised fennel, tomatoes and potatoes make a rich and hearty side dish. Serve as an accompaniment to grilled or pan-seared veal chops, chicken breasts and any kind of broiled or baked fish.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large bulb fennel, trimmed, cored and thinly sliced, fronds reserved for garnish
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1/2-3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, or water, divided
- 2 tablespoons Pernod, or other anise-flavored liqueur (optional)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley, or fennel fronds for garnish
- Heat oil in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over high heat. Add fennel and cook, stirring often, until it starts to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Season with fennel seed, salt and pepper. Add tomatoes, bring to a simmer and cook until the tomato juices are slightly reduced, about 4 minutes. Add potatoes and 1/2 cup broth (or water); cover the pan tightly and simmer over medium-low heat, checking every 10 minutes to make sure the pan juices don’t run dry. If necessary, add more broth (or water), 2 tablespoons at a time, to prevent scorching. Simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Uncover, add Pernod (or other liqueur), if using, and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes more. Serve garnished with parsley (or fennel fronds), if desired.
Per serving: 163 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 5 g fiber; 200 mg sodium; 1087 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- September/October 2007