From EatingWell: November/December 2012
Often a scoop for appetizers, Belgian endives also make an outstanding side dish. Slow braising in an aromatic broth tames their sharp flavor and makes them meltingly tender. Serve with roast chicken and acorn squash.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh coarse whole-wheat breadcrumbs (see Tip)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 4 teaspoons butter, divided
- 6 medium heads Belgian endive, halved
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and parsley and cook, stirring, until the breadcrumbs are brown and crispy, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate; wipe out the pan.
- Return the pan to medium heat and melt 2 teaspoons butter. Add 6 endive halves, cut-side down, and cook until beginning to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board. Repeat with the remaining 2 teaspoons butter and endive.
- Add the first batch of endive back to the pan. Pour in broth and add garlic, thyme, sugar and salt. Cook, turning the endive every 10 minutes or so, until the liquid has evaporated completely and the endive is glazed, about 30 minutes total. Transfer the endive to a platter. (Discard garlic and thyme.) Serve sprinkled with the reserved breadcrumbs.
Tips & Notes
- To make coarse dry breadcrumbs, spread crumbs on a baking sheet and bake at 250°F until dry, 10 to 15 minutes. One slice of bread makes about 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs or about 1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs. For store-bought coarse dry breadcrumbs we like Ian’s brand, labeled Panko breadcrumbs. Find them at well-stocked supermarkets.
Per serving: 77 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 4 g fiber; 214 mg sodium; 269 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2012