From EatingWell: November/December 2012
Often a scoop for appetizers, Belgian endives also make an outstanding side dish. Slow braising in an aromatic broth tames their sharp flavor and makes them meltingly tender. Serve with roast chicken and acorn squash.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh coarse whole-wheat breadcrumbs (see Tip)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 4 teaspoons butter, divided
- 6 medium heads Belgian endive, halved
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and parsley and cook, stirring, until the breadcrumbs are brown and crispy, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate; wipe out the pan.
- Return the pan to medium heat and melt 2 teaspoons butter. Add 6 endive halves, cut-side down, and cook until beginning to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board. Repeat with the remaining 2 teaspoons butter and endive.
- Add the first batch of endive back to the pan. Pour in broth and add garlic, thyme, sugar and salt. Cook, turning the endive every 10 minutes or so, until the liquid has evaporated completely and the endive is glazed, about 30 minutes total. Transfer the endive to a platter. (Discard garlic and thyme.) Serve sprinkled with the reserved breadcrumbs.
Tips & Notes
- To make coarse dry breadcrumbs, spread crumbs on a baking sheet and bake at 250°F until dry, 10 to 15 minutes. One slice of bread makes about 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs or about 1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs. For store-bought coarse dry breadcrumbs we like Ian’s brand, labeled Panko breadcrumbs. Find them at well-stocked supermarkets.
Per serving: 77 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 4 g fiber; 214 mg sodium; 269 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2012